Braces don’t always have to be made of very visible metal brackets and wires. In fact, many modern braces are constructed of transparent or natural tooth-colored materials to give patients a more appealing, less conspicuous option than classic braces.
What is the difference between clear braces and clear aligners?
The only difference between clear braces and standard metal braces is that they are transparent! Clear braces are a less-visible alternative to regular metal braces that offer patients the same quality of results.
However, clear aligners aren’t the same as clear braces. Clear aligners are thin, rigid plastic pieces that go over your teeth like a mouthguard. For people who just need modest orthodontic treatment, clear aligners are ideal.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to clear braces?
It is critical, like with any orthodontic treatment, to select the best solution for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a fantastic alternative to traditional metal braces, and your orthodontist can help you decide if they’re suitable for you.
Pros of clear braces:
- Ceramic and translucent braces have a considerably subtler appearance than standard metal braces. Making them an attractive alternative to typical metal braces for people who choose not to wear metal braces.
- Many patients who choose ceramic or transparent braces have more confidence in their orthodontic treatment, knowing that others would notice their smiles rather than their braces.
Cons of clear braces:
- Ceramic and transparent braces are likely to be more expensive than regular metal braces. But don’t worry, we will provide you with flexible payment options to help you budget for your treatment.
- When you drink tea, coffee, or wine, consume certain meals, or smoke, the clear elastic ties used with clear and ceramic braces may get slightly discolored. But we can guide you on how to keep your braces in good shape.
- Orthodontic treatment using transparent or ceramic braces may take longer than treatment with standard metal braces. If devoting a little extra time to your smile doesn’t bother you, then go for it.
Are clear or ceramic braces the right choice for my smile and me?
You can determine if clear or ceramic braces are the best option for you by speaking with Dr. Larson during your initial appointment. Dr. Larson can answer your questions and give further information about the advantages of each procedure. Please call our office and make an appointment to learn more about transparent braces, ceramic braces, and all of the other alternatives accessible to you.